Friday, January 23, 2009

Current Events

Went shopping the other day to go check out the Circuit City going out of business sale. After realizing that was a complete farce, J. convinced me to go to Ultimate Electronics. Turns out they weren't even open yet, but still hoards of people stood outside waiting to get in. No sale, no nuthin, just really bored people apparently. Anyway, we get in after everybody else breaks down the door, and start looking around. I ask a few intelligent questions to salesmen and actually get a few intelligent answers. OK, game on.

To make a long story short, I had been wanting a new TV the past few years since the one I won I got at my Christmas party in '95 (21" Panablack(tm) by the way) was a little outdated. Decided on this little beauty below, a Samsung 750.

46 inches, 1080p, 120Hz, 50,000:1 contrast ratio, 178 degree viewing angle. Yup, not bad. Welp, howaboutaz an accessory?


Sony S-550 Blu-ray! Got a big discount because somebody opened the box, but otherwise brand new.

Gotta say TV and movies are AMAZING on this thing. To add pizazz to pizza, my sister gave me a 6 month subscription to Netflix. Well it turns out, for only a dollar a month more, I can upgrade that to Blu-ray DVD's, and so, let the movie watching begin....


In other news, J. and I attended my Christmas party at the Petroleum Club in Tulsa.


That is where I won 2 round trip tickets on American Airlines to the Caribbean!



Not all is good though, my car battery has been repeatedly dying. I just bought a new one a few months ago, so either:

1) Something is draining the battery, which I will check with my ammeter tomorrow
2) The alternator isn't keeping up and broken
3) Lame POS low quality battery



That is all for now.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new television, Netflix upgrade and possible Caribbean weekend (?).

12:31 PM  
Blogger Cate said...

Are you freakin' kidding me? The Caribbean?! Who knows, maybe the Oklahoma winter doesn't have you craving warm weather like this Wisconsin winter does, but I'd be gone in a flash. How exciting! Does it have any restrictions? Where in the Caribbean? Will you be making a return trip to St. Barts?

Oh, and yeah, high def TVs really are pretty awesome. Welcome to the modern age. ;)

2:01 PM  
Blogger sixty-five said...

Sounds like you are going to rescue the economy single-handedly. Good for you! I've been thinking of taking a trip on the Megabus. Heard of it? Costs a dollar to anywhere you want to go, if you book early enough. Don't think it goes to the Caribbean, alas.

10:04 PM  
Blogger AlexanderTheGreat said...

To answer all your posts:

Daddio - Thank you.

SuperMom - St. Barts would be nice, but am probably limited to where AA flies, but nothing stopping me from taking a side flight. My ticket actually does have blockouts (not labeled as an Anytime reward), but haven't checked on it yet. You are right though that this is the time to use it as it expires after one year. You are also right, HDTV rocks, and thanks for the welcome to modern society :)

65 - Yes, need to spend some money on myself once in a while, but this is actually a great time with so many sales and such. Think we are actually near the bottom of the curve before inflation (read trillions of dollars of funny money printed out of nowhere that our taxes will pay for (if possible)) catches up, so now is the time to BUY BUY BUY! Taking a bus isn't exactly what I would call a vacation, and I checked and they don't serve Tulsa, but thanks for the tip!

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page