Friday, August 24, 2007

Bacon and Cigarretes


So my friend and I are sitting around thinking about what to eat for dinner. Turns out I have a stash of red potatoes and white onions left over from the wonderful corn beef and cabbage she cooked a week before. "Maybe some protein?", she queries? "Yeah sure, some bacon would be good too!", I say.

So I send her off on her merry way to Walgreen's across the street to get some necessities.....

She gets to the counter with the bacon, and asks for the other item du jour ... cigarettes. "What?", says the Hawaiian dyed hair minimum wage cashier. "Bacon and Cigarettes?", "HAHAHAHAHAH!" ...

End of story: We roasted red potatoes, and grilled onion with garlic, and bacon to have the most yummy meal ever.


9 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

Hmmm, I suppose that would be an interesting combination but, I have to say, I've seen cigarettes paired a lot stranger things in gas station lines across this country.

I hope the meal was yummy, though. I think bacon is always yummy.

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

camel? lucky strike? pall mall? home run? forget the bacon, let's light up.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alex, you took out my line. Actually, that wasn't the end of the story, but I agree with you-- minutia doesn't make for good storytelling.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Superdad said...

well now we must know the rest of the story (where's Paul Harvey when you need him?).

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The man in line behind Alex's friend joined the cashier in making fun of the apparently hillarious combination of bacon and cigarettes. As Alex's friend patiently waited for her change, suggestions were made by the cashier and man of nicotine laced dental floss and drinks. Alex's friend received her change and attempted the usual end of transaction niceties (thank you, have a nice day, etc.), but could not be heard over the belly laughs of the cashier and her line-mate. She gave up and as she was leaving the store, she overheard the cashier say to the man, "Oreo's and cigarettes-- that will be $9.00."

4:13 PM  
Blogger Superdad said...

I love it!

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bacon -- among my favorites, having had it every morning growing up in the South. I still can eat strip after strip. Especially when dripping with grease...

8:16 PM  
Blogger Superdad said...

My Dad used to save the bacon grease. He would put it in the frig and use it like butter on his toast. Btw - his cholesterol is amazingly low.

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eksa saps paradigm letting docs crtc forestall lines guidelines dagenham competing
lolikneri havaqatsu

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page