Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Weekend in Madison

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, but have been quite busy with life and work. I spent a weekend a couple of weeks ago in Madison to celebrate the life of one of my best college friends, Mike McLean. Apparently he had a fatal affliction since birth that is still incurable to this day that finally caught up with him. I never was told of his problem until now, but knew that I liked him right away when I met him, because he lived ever day as it was his last. I Don't know that I've ever been to a eulogy that has lasted two hours and needed to cut people off at the end due to time constraints.


So, back to my old stomping grounds, the University of Wisconsin Madison, where I was educated among the world class from all cultures. This was the place of many of the highest highs and lowest lows in my life. It feels good to be back. Hello Bucky (which I had a stuffed version of as a child, who says subliminal influences don't work?)


The Wisconsin State Capitol. Second largest dome in the country behind the capitol building in DC.


My hotel, the Hilton Monona Terrace. Nice digs, except for the false 4am fire alarm that I had to wake up to and exit down the stairs from the 8th floor on my last night there.

I had a luxury suite overlooking Lake Monona and the Monona Terrace. The Terrace is a convention center and a Frank Lloyd Wright design that did not exist while I lived there.


The after-memorial service was held at the Brocach Irish Pub. Just as Mike had decreed in his last wishes, everybody was having a toast to his fine existence in this world.


The next day, I sat on the patio of Brocach again and drank some "Haas." I watched people for some time and after awhile decided that I was sufficiently "crazy" enough to jump back into Madison culture. What comes next is discovering a whole new part of Madison that frankly I before was too poor and naive to experience before as a student.


The Ocean Grill Champagne Restaurant. Great place to drink some bubbly (ahem, at $30 a glass if you want the real stuff) and soak up the sun, which by chance, also looks great shining through a $30 glass of bubbles.


My best friend Steve (traveling from DC, also close friend of Mike's) and his wife call and want to go to dinner. OK, where to? Well there could not have been a better choice. The Muramoto presents a tapas-style Japanese dinner. I cannot praise this place enough. The cuisine was perfect in texture, color, temperature, and of course taste. On top of that they have a full selection on bottles of Sake. Apparently Sake is only served warm if it is the cheap kind. We ordered some G-Joy, which tasted better than any Chardonnay I can remember. Pictured is the owner and chief chef.


Onward to the Maduro Cigar Bar, one of the few places left exempt from Madison's newly initiated anti-smoking laws. Cigars only please. Turns out I accidentally left my debit card there (had run out of cash reserves), but after calling them, they gladly sent my card back to Tulsa with a note that sweetly said, "Until we see you again!" (Kinda unlike the guy in Tulsa working at a hotel counter that kept my card and went on a Walmart shopping spree.)

Cheers Mike!

3 Comments:

Blogger Superdad said...

I won't get on you for not calling to say you were in Madison as I am assuming that it was a fast trip. Sorry for the loss of your friend but it sounds as if you have many good memories.

I love the Maduro. Cait and I went there for an after dinner drink and cigar on our 2nd (or third) anniversary. It became a semi-regular stop.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Cate said...

Ditto Joe regarding the first paragraph.

Next time you're there, check out La Toile. Delightful place!

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto Joe regarding the first paragraph. I remember a lot of moving to and from Madison with you, a dorm room, a house near the stadium (and zoo), another on one of the spoke streets and the highrise near downtown. And the day we sat on steps near the square discussing your move from engineering to physics. Great pictures. Did the chief chef appreciate your camera?

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page