Monday, November 08, 2010

Comfort Food


I've had this nasty cold for about a week now, and Saturday I decided I wanted some good ole' fashioned Shepherd's Pie.

Read a few recipes and improvised for what I thought my tummy wanted. I will summarize the recipe here. These steps can mostly be done in parallel, though I saved the meat part for last.

Boil four peeled and cubed large potatoes for about 20 minutes (lower heat to simmer after initial boil). Drain and mash with half a stick of butter and enough milk until reaches the right consistency. Cover and save.

Steam package of frozen peas and carrots, heap of minced garlic, and a small portion of beef broth covered in the microwave for about 6 minutes. Stir, cover, and save.

Set the oven to 350 degrees so it is preheated when done with the next step.

In a skillet, brown a pound of ground beef and a chopped onion (be sure heat is not too high!). Add seasoning (i.e. salt and pepper) and Worcestershire sauce to taste. Stir as needed. Add some sliced mushrooms when beef about halfway browned. When fully browned, drain fat, then pour in approximately half a can of the beef broth and lower heat to a simmer. Add small portions of flour and stir until liquid consistency is lost.

Finally, in an about 10"x14" baking dish, put an even layer of meat, then vegetables, and then smooth mashed potatoes over the top. Put in preheated oven and cook for about 40 minutes.

Just finished by myself eating up the last of all of it now!

5 Comments:

Blogger sixty-five said...

Hope this did the trick and that you are feeling better!

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Bob said...

Hey- that looks really good....Hope you are now feeling better!

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Bob said...

Pretty soon the Alex cookbook will be coming out (in time for the Holidays)?

9:04 AM  
Anonymous dad said...

Chef Alex. A new career in the offing?

7:28 PM  
Blogger AlexanderTheGreat said...

Thanks everyone, feeling much better now!

(*cough* hack bleeauuah)

I know I've had a few cooking posts, but really not that much else exciting around here in my personal life.

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page